Eugene Katchman, MD
Specialist in Infectious Diseases (Israel)
1986-1990: 1st Pavlov Medical University
Faculty of General Medicine, Saint-Petersburg, Russia
1991-1995: the Sackler Faculty of Medicine
Tel-Aviv University, Tel-Aviv, Israel
1996: MD degree Awarded
Title of Doctoral Dissertation: “Urgent coronary bypass surgery in patients after acute myocardial infarction in Israel.“
Supervisor: Prof. S.Bahar, Sheba Medical Center and the Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel-Aviv University.
- Clinical Experience
1996 – 1997: Rotating Internship, Tel-Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, Tel Aviv, Israel.
1997 – 1999, 2003: Medical Service, Israeli Defense Forces.
1999 – 2005: Resident, Internal Medicine, Department “E”, Beilinson Campus, Rabin Medical Center, Petah-Tikva, Israel.
2005 – 2007: Fellow, Infectious Diseases, Tel-Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, Tel- Aviv, Israel.
2007 – August 2010; September 2011 – present: Senior Physician, the Infectious Disease Unit, the AIDS Center, and HCV-HIV-coinfected Clinic, Tel-Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, Tel Aviv, Israel.
September 2010 – August 2011: Clinical Fellow, Transplant Infectious Diseases, Toronto General Hospital / University Health Network, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
2006 – present: Family (primary) physician, Maccabi Medical Services (HMO).
1997 – 1999, 2002 – 2004: Israeli Defense Forces Medical Service.
C. Official Professional Certifications
1997 – ECFMG certificate (USA).
1997 – Certification of Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS) course under the auspices of the Israeli association for advancement of trauma care.
1997 – Certification of Advanced Cardiac Life Support course according to the standard of American Heart Association under the auspices of Tel-Aviv University and the Israeli Association for Emergency Medicine.
September 2008 – Good Clinical Practice Fundamental for Clinical Research Investigator; GCP Clinical Studies Ltd., Israel.
2005 – Specialist in Internal Medicine (Israel)
2008 – Specialist in Infectious Diseases (Israel)
2011 – Transplant Infectious Diseases Clinical Fellowship (Ontario, Canada)
D. Active Participation in Scientific Meetings
2003 – 43rd ICAAC, Chicago, IL, USA (poster presentation)
April 2006 – 2nd Israeli Conference on HIV-HCV-HBV (invited lecturer – case presentation)
April 2008 – 3rd Israeli Conference on HIV-HCV-HBV (invited lecturer)
2009 – 49th ICAAC, San Fransisco, CA, USA (poster presentation)
October 2013 – EACS Conference 2013, Brussels, Belgium (oral presentation)
- Professional Awards
2000 – Award for Excellence in Clinical Practice. Rabin Medical Center, Petah-Tikva, Israel
- Membership in Professional Societies
- Israeli Medical Association
- Israeli Infectious Diseases Society.
- Israeli Association for AIDS Medicine
G. Scientific Publications
- Katchman EA , Milo G, Paul M, Christiaens T, Baerheim A, Leibovici L. Three-day vs. longer duration of antibiotic treatment for cystitis in women: systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Med. 2005 Nov;118(11):1196-207.
- Ben-Ami R, Ephros M, Avidor B, Katchman EA, Varon M, Leibowitz C, Comaneshter D, Giladi M. Cat-scratch disease in elderly patients. Clin Infect Dis. 2005 Oct;41(7):969-74.
- Ben-Bassat O, Lev S, Gafter-Gvili A, Katchman E, Niv Y, Fraser GM. Acute pneumonitis in a patient with celiac disease and dermatitis herpetiformis. Isr Med Assoc J. 2005 May;7(5):340-1.
- Milo G, Katchman EA, Paul M, Christiaens T, Baerheim A, Leibovici L. Duration of antibacterial treatment for uncomplicated urinary tract infection in women. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005 Apr 18;(2).
- Turner D, Shahar E, Katchman E, Kedem E, Matus N, Katzir M, Hassoun G, Pollack S, Kessner R, Wainberg MA, Avidor B. Prevalence of the K65R resistance reverse transcriptase mutation in different HIV-1 subtypes in Israel. J Med Virol. 2009 Sep;81(9):1509-12.
- Turner D, Amit S, Chalom S, Penn O, Pupko T, Katchman E, Matus N, Tellio H, Katzir M, Avidor B. Emergence of an HIV-1 cluster harbouring the major L90M mutation among treatment-naïve patients in Tel-Aviv, Israel. HIV Med. 2012 Apr;13(4):202-6
- Brosh-Nissimov T, Mor Z, Avramovich E, Katchman E, Avidor B, Mor O, Turner D. Syphilis outbreak among men who have sex with men, Tel Aviv, Israel, 2008-2009. Isr Med Assoc J. 2012; 14:152-6.
- Katchman E, Varon-Grady M, Leibovich C, Giladi M, Avidor B. Serum immunoglobulin G avidity test as a tool for improving diagnosis of cat scratch disease. Vector-Borne and Zoonotic Diseases 2012, Aug;12(8):645-9.
- Mor Z, Lurie Y, Katchman E. A case of hepatitis A vaccination failure in an HIV-positive man who had sex with men in Israel. Int J STD AIDS. 2012 Jul;23(7):529-30.
- Avidor B, Girshengorn S, Matus N, Talio H, Achsanov S, Zeldis I, Fratty IS, Katchman E, Brosh-Nissimov T, Hassin D, Alon D, Bentwich Z, Yust I, Amit S, Forer R, Vulih Shultsman I, Turner D. Evaluation of a Benchtop HIV Ultradeep Pyrosequencing Drug Resistance Assay in the Clinical Laboratory. J Clin Microbiol. 2013 Mar;51(3):880-6.
- Katchman E, Marquez M, Bazerbachi F, Grant D, Cattral M, Low CY, Renner E, Humar A, Selzner M, Ghanekar A, Rotstein C, Husain S. A comparative study of the use of selective digestive decontamination prophylaxis in living donor liver transplant recipients. Transplant Infect Dis. 2014; Aug;16(4):539-47.
- 12. Katchman E, Ben-Ami R, Savyon M, Chemtob D, Avidor B, Wasserman A, Zeldis I, Girshengorn S, Amitai Z, Sheffer R, Turner D. Successful control of a large outbreak of HIV infection associated with injection of cathinone derivatives in Tel Aviv, Israel.
Clin Microbiol Infect. 2017 May;23(5):336.e5-336.e8.
- Ram R, Halavy Y, Amit O, Paran Y, Katchman E, Yachini B, Kor S, Avivi I, Ben-Ami R. Extended versus Bolus Infusion of Broad Spectrum β-Lactams for Febrile Neutropenia: an Unblinded Randomized Trial. Clin Infect Dis. 2018 Sep 28;67(8):1153-1160.
- Grossman Z, Avidor B, Girshengoren S, Katchman E, Maldarelli F, Turner D. Transmission Dynamics of HIV Subtype A in Tel Aviv, Israel: Implications for HIV Spread and Eradication. Open Forum Infect Dis. 2019 Jul 1;6(7):ofz304.
- Grupper A, Goykhman Y, Baruch R, Turner D, Elbirt D, Okrent Smolar L, Katz P, Nachmany I, Lubezky N, Katchman E. In sickness and in health: Living HIV positive kidney donation from a wife to her husband, with 7 years’ post-transplant follow-up. Transpl Infect Dis. 2019 Dec;21(6):e13171.
- Des Jarlais DC, Sypsa V, Feelemyer J, Abagiu AO, Arendt V, Broz D, Chemtob D, Seguin-Devaux C, Duwve JM, Fitzgerald M, Goldberg DJ, Hatzakis A, Jipa RE, Katchman E, Keenan E, Khan I, Konrad S, McAuley A, Skinner S, Wiessing L. HIV outbreaks among people who inject drugs in Europe, North America, and Israel. Lancet HIV. 2020 Jun;7(6):e434-e442.
- ShapiraL, Rasis M, Binsky Ehrenreich I, Maor Y, Katchman EA, Treves A, Velan A, Halutz O, Graidy-Varon M, Leibovitch C, Maisler N, Ephros M, Giladi M. Laboratory diagnosis of 37 Cases of Bartonellaendocarditis based on enzyme immunoassay and real-time PCR. J Clin Microbiol. 2021 May 19;59(6): e02217-20.
- Grupper A, Rabinowich L, Schwartz D, Schwartz I, Ben-Yehoyada M, Shashar M, Katchman E, Halperin T, Turner D, Goykhman Y, Shibolet O, Levy S, Houri I, Baruch R, Katchman H. Reduced humoral response to mRNA SARS-CoV-2 BNT162b2 vaccine in kidney transplant recipients without prior exposure to the virus. Am J Transplant. 2021 Aug; 21(8): 2719-2726.
- Rabinowich L, Grupper A, Baruch R, Ben-Yehoyada M, Halperin T, Turner D, Katchman E, Levi S, Houri I, Lubezky N, Shibolet O, Katchman H. Low immunogenicity to SARS-CoV-2 vaccination among liver transplant recipients. J Hepatol. 2021 Aug;75(2): 435-438.
- Grupper A, Katchman E, Ben-Yehoyada M, Rabinowich L, Schwartz D, Schwartz IF, Shashar M, Halperin T, Turner D, Goykhman Y, Shibolet O, Levy S, Houri I, Baruch R, Katchman H. Kidney transplant recipients vaccinated before transplantation maintain superior humoral response to SARS-CoV-2 vaccine. Clin Transplant. 2021 Dec;35(12):e14478.
- Grupper A, Rabinowich L, Ben-Yehoyada M, Katchman E, Baruch R, Freund T, Hagin D, Shlomo SB, Schwartz D, Schwartz IF, Shashar M, Bassat OK, Halperin T, Turner D, Saiag E, Goykhman Y, Shibolet O, Levy S, Houri I, Katchman H. Humoral Response to the Third Dose of Sars-Cov-2 Vaccine in Kidney Transplant Recipients. Transplant Proc. 2022 Mar 1:S0041-1345(22)00164-6.
H. Presentations at International Conferences
Katchman EA, Milo G, Paul M, Christiaens T, Baerheim A, Leibovici L. Duration of antibacterial treatment for uncomplicated urinary tract infection in women. 43rd ICAAC, Chicago, IL, USA, 2003.
Katchman EA, Katzir M, Brosh T, Dekel M, Katchman H, Cohen R, Turner D. Syphilitic hepatitis in human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-infected patients: an under-reported syndrome. 49th ICAAC, San Francisco, CA, USA, 2009.
Katchman EA et al. An Outbreak of Primary HIV Infection among Injecting Drug Users in Tel Aviv, Israel Associated with Changes in the Illicit Drug Use Practices. EACS Conference, Brussels, Belgium, 2013.
I. Teaching Experience
2001 – Tutor for fourth year medical students, training course in Internal Medicine, the Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel-Aviv University.
2006 – present: Training in Infectious Diseases and HIV medicine for medical students (sub-internship), the Sackler Faculty of Medicine Tel-Aviv University, Hadassah Medical School and the Ben-Gurion University at Negev School of Medicine.
2006 – 2010: The Ethiopian educational program on HIV in collaboration with the CDC-USA.
J. Participation in industry-supported clinical trials
2005-2006: Study A5951105: Linezolid vs. Vancomycin/Cefazolin in the treatment of Hemodialysis Patients with Catheter-relates Gram-positive Bloodstream infections.
2005-2007: ATTAIN: Intravenous Televancin vs. Vancomycin in the treatment of Hospital-Acquired-Pneumonia.
2005-present: A study of the Epidemiology and Susceptibility of Candida glabrata in the Tel Aviv Medical center.
2005-present: A National Survey of the Epidemiology and the Susceptibility of Candida strains to Anti-fungal Drugs.
2006: GSK: CNA106030: Effect of the HLA-B*5701 screening on the incidence of abacavir hypersensitivity-Phase IV randomized, multi-centre, double-blind study.
2006: Comparing “Hotline” surveillance to regular treatment with efavirenz.
2006: Orgenics: Development of a rapid assay for simultaneous detection of antigen and antibodies to HIV: Clinical evaluation of the assay performance.
2007: MK-0518: Expanded access trial on Raltegravir.
2007 – present: Basilea WSA-004: BAL8557 vs. Voriconazole for Primary Treatment of Invasive Fungal Disease caused by Aspergillus. Double-blind phase III study.
2007 – present: Basilea WSA-008: BAL8557 vs. Caspofungin Followed by Voriconazole for Treatment of Candidemia. Double-blind phase III study.
2008: Basilea WSA-003: Open-label of BAL8557 in the Treatment of Patients with Aspergillosis and Renal Impairment or Patients with Invasive Fungal Disease caused by Rare Moulds.
2008: WYETH 3074A-900: Tigecycline vs. Ampicillin-Sulbactam or Amoxicillin-Clavulanate for Complicated Skin and Skin Stuctures Infections. Phase IIIb/IV study.
2008: AVEXA 301. Aptricitabine. Phase IIb study.
2009 – 2012: BCX1812-301 study (Peramivir). Phase III study.